The Crown Jewels

The Crown Jewels Of France

Last used to crown a king in 1825, what was once a vast collection of items dating back to 752 is no longer used for official purposes.

Today, very little remains of the original selection. Despite the recovery of most of the jewels following their theft in 1792 when rioters looted the Royal Treasury, at least two of the famous pieces, the Sancy Diamond and the French Blue Diamond, have never been located – interestingly, the latter is alleged to have been recut and is reputedly a bad luck charm.

Of the items that were returned, the establishment of the ‘Third Republic’ led to the controversial decision to sell off most of the jewels, predominantly to private collectors, around 1885. Most of those that survive are housed in the Louvre’s Galerie d’Apollon and are kept purely for their historical value. Like their English cousins in the Martin Tower, they no longer contain their original diamonds.